After Sharp Objects, more mystery novels deserve a slice of HBO

CNET | 7/26/2018 | Patricia Puentes
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/lKRnpb8pVCpV3PiRgMxZ9M0ibn8=/2018/07/25/e83e3c0c-55d5-43f9-be6c-d5a92b69aa22/a347cb0390e89dd145f4a27f41da5f17288724e31934b7042f99ee815bf2b2bd.jpg

Amy Adams as Camille in Sharp Objects.

Mystery novels/movies/shows are my guilty pleasure. I grew up on Agatha Christie, but later graduated to Nordic noir, Patricia Highsmith, Elmore Leonard and some of Manuel Vázquez Montalbán's Pepe Carvalho (we're both from Barcelona, have lived abroad and love eating). If I'm sick or lazy, I seek solace sipping tea while I lie on the sofa under a blanket and watch some Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries on Netflix.

Minute - HBO - Gillian - Flynn - Sharp

That's why the minute I learned HBO was adapting Gillian Flynn's Sharp Objects, I got the novel. First of all, I like Flynn. She kept me hooked with Gone Girl (I really didn't see that plot twist coming). Also, I prefer to watch my mysteries after I've read them. And, of course, I was a fan of Big Little Lies, the bleak, female-driven mystery novel directed for HBO Jean-Marc Vallée, who's also directing Sharp Objects.

So far I'm really enjoying the show. It delves into the tormented life of Camille (Amy Adams), a St. Louis-based reporter whose big break takes her to her native Wind Gap, Mo., to report on the deaths of two young girls. The show perfectly translates to images and sounds most of the many rich scenes from Flynn's book, and it even adds a few layers. Like when we find out Camille's preferred driving soundtrack is Led Zeppelin. Also, some of her lines in the show are even sharper than in the novel.

Show - Enjoyment - Book - Doses

The show's allowing me to relive my enjoyment of the book in eight perfectly designed one-hour doses.

The show's allowing me to relive my enjoyment of the book in eight perfectly designed one-hour doses. That's why I'd like to see more of these crime novels getting the HBO treatment.

Mysteries - Stories - Puzzles - Suspects - Investigators

Mysteries are complex stories filled with puzzles, suspects and investigators. Novels allow for...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis