McCarrick, Gayness, and Humanae Vitae

Sticking the Corners | 7/25/2018 | Staff
doona07 (Posted by) Level 3
I have seen surprisingly little homophobia in the McCarrick scandals, but then again I’m selective in my reading. Rod Dreher’s piece on the response of the bishops, “Among the Apostolic Bureaucrats“, gives a hint of it in one of the preserved comboxes he shares. I’d like to take a moment to talk about sane Catholic thinking where same-sex attraction and clergy corruption intersect.

Begin by reading Humanae Vitae, which turns 50 today. Happy birthday to a short and user-friendly encyclical. If you can read here, you are smart enough for HV.

Okay

Okay, good.

Now here’s the thing about contraception, pulled from my post, “Pro-Life, Married, and Contracepting: Is There a Problem?”

Whereas - NFP - Abstinence - Part - Life

Whereas NFP always reminds you that abstinence is a part of life we must make peace with, contraception says no, don’t make that peace. Very quickly we become persuaded we must have this thing that we want, because it is a necessity.

Thus the spiritual fruit of marriage extends outward to the wider society: If married people have to indulge-or-bust, then surely the same applies to engaged couples? To people dating seriously? To those who are just lonely and want some affection? To those who have no prospect of marriage, but have a sexual drive all the same?

Nothing - Person - Everyone - Person - Lack

After all, there is nothing different, biologically or psychologically, between a married person and everyone else. If a married person is going to combust for lack of intercourse, it follows that others might too. If a married person is incapable of maintaining healthy, balanced, rewarding relationships unless the sex drive is perpetually sated, it follows that others have the same need for satiation.

And if the married person, who has the advantage of a dear friend on hand for companionship and assistance and warmth and kindness, is unable to experience depth and emotional intimacy...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Sticking the Corners
Wake Up To Breaking News!