‘Halloween’: Jamie Lee Curtis on Why David Gordon Green’s Bloodcurdling Sequel Is the Perfect Film for the #MeToo Era

IndieWire | 7/21/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/shutterstock_9766841n.jpg?w=780

Jamie Lee Curtis announced she would reprise her first film role less than three weeks before allegations against Harvey Weinstein ignited the #MeToo movement (see tweet below). With decades of experience in an industry notorious for sexism, workplace harassment, and worse, she sensed that for women, change was afoot. At Universal Pictures’ Friday evening San Diego Comic-Con (SDCC) presentation, she discussed why her “Halloween” character’s turmoil is as relevant as it gets.

“Laurie Strode was 17 years old when she was brutally attacked by Michael Myers, a random act of violence that stayed with her her entire life,” she began, joined by co-writer/director Devin Gordon Green, plus producers Jason Blum and Malek Akkad. “This is a girl who — 40 years later — never had any mental health services… She has carried the trauma and PTSD of someone who was attacked randomly. And what was so interesting about the movie that David and company wrote is that what they’re honoring today is that [with] that trauma, there comes a point where you say, ‘I am not my trauma, the narrative of my life is not that I am a victim.’ And this is a woman who’s been waiting 40 years, who faced the person who she knows is coming back, to say, ‘I am going to take back the legacy of my life, I am going to take back my narrative, and you don’t own me anymore.’ And that, weirdly enough, seems to be a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!