The IM Saturday Monks Brunch: July 21, 2018

internetmonk.com | 7/21/2018 | Chaplain Mike

Anyone need a little respite from all the noise of this week? Ho-o-oly cow!

This weekend, the church where my wife serves as choir director will serve close to 2000 people at their annual corn roast supper. They have discovered that this, my friends, is the secret to church growth, indeed the secret to the abundant life Jesus promised us.

Sweet - Corn

Sweet corn.

I love sweet corn. It truly is better than sex! I’m not lying! All across the Midwest tonight, a husband and wife will finish what husbands and wives do, and the wife will ask the husband: “How was that?” And, if the man is honest, he’ll say “Well, it wasn’t sweet corn, but it was nice.”

Man - Desire - Times - Noons - Number

And pray what more can a reasonable man desire, in peaceful times, in ordinary noons, than a sufficient number of ears of green sweet corn boiled, with the addition of salt?

…roasted in the husk in the hottest possible oven for forty minutes, shucked at the table, and buttered and salted, nothing else, it is ambrosia. No chef’s ingenuity and imagination have ever created a finer dish.

Corn

boiled or roasted is still a Corn.

one went through the hot waters the other through the Fire.

Word

Still The blessed Word.

Look, I made a commitment to corn 17 years ago. Sure, I’m a man. I like to go to a barbecue and see beans that I like: baked beans, red beans, black beans, big plump garbanzos. But in the end, I always come home to my sweet, sweet corn.

Plough - Deep - Sluggards

Plough deep, while Sluggards sleep;

And you shall have Corn, to sell and to keep.

RNS

From RNS:

Catherine Pepinster reports that the Church of England is planning to include more rigorous psychological testing of those wanting to become priests. In light of the sexual abuse scandals in the Roman Catholic Church, this is one measure the CoE...
(Excerpt) Read more at: internetmonk.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Nie wieder, unelected bureaucrat's running our country
Tagged: