Contentment Is Hard

The Aquila Report | 7/21/2018 | Staff
“Even a skim-read through the book of Exodus will expose the ancient Israelites as habitual grumblers and complainers. God rescued them from slavery to be his people, but they had short and selective memories, especially when they were hungry.”

Like most people, I’ve been through hard times in my life. Sometimes they’ve stretched on and on for years. At other times they’ve been relatively short-lived.

People - Kind - Difficulties

But like all people everywhere, I’ve also frequently experienced the kind of difficulties that are best described as minor, momentary or just maddening. They make me grumpy and irritable, and they probably make you grumpy and irritable too.

Imagine. You arrive early for an appointment, but it takes fifteen minutes to find somewhere to park your car, so you end up sprinting to get there on time. You buy a new microwave, but after a month it stops working, so you have to find the receipt and take it back to the store. You look forward to having a decent holiday, but when the day finally arrives you come down with the flu and have to cancel.

Experiences - Part - Life - Control - Reaction

We all have experiences like this; they’re a part of normal life, though naturally we wish they weren’t. And because we have no control over them, our instinctive reaction is to find a sympathetic audience and have a good whinge. It’s such a relief to moan and gripe to others about the inconvenience or disappointment we’ve experienced. It’s easy to be cranky and so hard to be content.

But why is it so difficult to resist the urge to grumble? And why does it matter?

Book - Exodus - Ancient - Grumblers - Complainers

Even a skim-read through the book of Exodus will expose the ancient Israelites as habitual grumblers and complainers. God rescued them from slavery to be his people, but they had short and selective memories, especially when they were hungry....
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Aquila Report
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: