James Gunn Issues Statement Reacting to Disney Firing, Offers ‘Deepest Apologies’ for Offensive Tweets

IndieWire | 7/20/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/james-gunn.jpg?w=780

James Gunn has issued a statement reacting to being fired by Disney from directing “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3.” Disney severed ties with the director on July 20 after numerous offensive tweets from his past resurfaced online. Gunn’s tweets saw him making controversial jokes about topics including pedophilia, rape, and the September 11 terrorist attacks.

“My words of nearly a decade ago were, at the time, totally failed and unfortunate efforts to be provocative,” Gunn said in an official statement. “I have regretted them for many years since — not just because they were stupid, not at all funny, wildly insensitive, and certainly not provocative like I had hoped, but also because they don’t reflect the person I am today or have been for some time.”

Gunn - Disney - Decision - Filmmaker - Disney

Gunn did not dispute Disney’s decision. The filmmaker had worked with Disney and Marvel on the first two “Guardians of the Galaxy” movies and was set to write and direct the third installment, which already had a 2020 release date.

“Regardless of how much time has passed, I understand and accept the business decisions taken today,” Gunn said. “Even these many years...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!