ASK FATHER: Baptism of child of a same-sex couple?

wdtprs.com | 7/19/2018 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →

QUAERITUR:

In my diocese and in others there has been a general conclusion that it is fine to baptized the child of a homosexual couple, so long as it is done in private, you let the parents know you don’t agree with their lifestyle, and you only write in the baptismal register the name of one of the parents (therefore treating it like the baptism of a child of a single parent). The “founded hope” for the infant as stated in canon 868 paragraph 1 number 2 for a licit baptism, they claim, exists in the fact that you never know how the grace of God will work in the life of the child upon receiving this sacrament. In order to keep this question short I simply want to hear your opinion on this matter concerning the baptism of a child of homosexual parents. If you have already written an article on this I apologize and would it be possible to kindly direct me to it so I don’t unecessesarily use up your time. Thank you very much.

Gauntlet - People - Matter

Let’s see if we can run this gauntlet and survive. Watch some people have a spittle-flecked nutty no matter what I write.

While we cannot place restrictions on God, who can save whom it pleaseth Him to save, Christ himself and Holy Church teach without the chance of error that baptism is “necessary for salvation” (CCC 1257) This is also inscribed in law, so that our practice is regulated (can. 849). Because we want as many as possible to be saved, we are pretty flexible about baptism, the foundation sacrament. Denial of baptism is a horrifying thought. This is why the Church’s ministers should deny baptism. More on that later.

Lays - Criteria - Baptism - Infant

Can. 868 lays down two criteria for licit baptism of an infant who is not in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!