Pastors, Parents, and Our Emerging Gen X Crisis

LifeWay Pastors | 7/11/2018 | Guest Contributor
fufu-fefefufu-fefe (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ministrysites/wp-content/uploads/sites/21/2018/07/03140047/Gen-x-w-title.png

Yes, there are inherent problems with broad stroke generalizations of the generations, but I think we all can agree that there is a great deal of validity to the discussion. There are areas of life a generation might get more or less right and there are areas of life and maturity that a generation might completely miss. For instance, I think Generation X has had to exercise a degree of patience as a result of the most influential and largest generation in American history, the Boomers, being just ahead of it. I think this learned patience has manifested itself in a solid work ethic that has brought unprecedented creativity to the work place and leadership.

But we’ve also created or at least facilitated the phenomenon known as team sports. As great as team sports have been in providing a forum for families to “do life” together and instilling character, commitment, and goal-setting within our children, these commitments have perhaps been the greatest contributor to an eroding devotion to church attendance and the deeper practices of worship and prayer. As the first generation of latchkey kids, a large contingency of Generation X parents—to their credit—made a solid vow to the nuclear family as a corrective measure. For years as I’ve watched our kids grow up and I’ve thought to myself, “You know, we may not have it all figured out, but I think we’ve made great parents.”

Doctor - Office - Waiting - Waiting - Rooms

That is, I thought that until just recently. In a doctor’s office waiting to be called into one of the smaller waiting rooms I picked up a magazine, flipped through it, and stopped at an article about inappropriate photos of women — non-celebrity, people-you-meet-on-the-street-everyday women —being uploaded and shared to the public by ex-boyfriends or even ex-husbands. The article addressed the emotional fall out, shame, and...
(Excerpt) Read more at: LifeWay Pastors
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Do you exist for Something or Nothing?