John Major says 'hardline' Brexiteers could trigger an autumn election

Mail Online | 7/18/2018 | Kate Ferguson, Political Correspondent For Mailonline
tiazanne (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/17/17/4E59018900000578-0-image-a-10_1531846600044.jpg

Sir John Major has warned that Brexiteers are plunging the Government into such chaos that a General Election could be held in Autumn.

The former PM said the Tory Brexiteers who are striking against Theresa May are more 'hardline' than the Eurosceptic rebels who nearly brought him down in the early 1990s.

Brexiteer - Jacob - Rees-Mogg - Faction - Tory

He accused leading Brexiteer Jacob Rees-Mogg of leading a hardline faction in the Tory party akin to the right-wing Tea Party in the US Republican Party.

But he warned that the hardline group risk plunging the Government into such Brexit chaos that another election is called as early as Autumn - less than two years after the last one.

Sir - John - Eurosceptic - Maastrict - Rebels

Sir John - who once famously branded the Eurosceptic Maastrict rebels who nearly brought his Government down 'b*****ds - said today's rebels are more fierce than the ones he faced.

And he warned their die-hard tactics could backfire and hand the keys to No10 to Jeremy Corbyn.

Intervention - Mrs - May - Premiership - Hangs

His intervention comes as Mrs May's premiership hangs by a thread and her party is tearing itself apart in a Brexit row.

He told ITV's Robert Peston: 'I think what they are doing is going to risk a Corbyn government.

Election - Anybody

'I think what they are doing is quite likely to lead to a much earlier general election than anybody is anticipating.

'Whether that's this Autumn or next Spring I can't say but I think the way they are continually chipping away against the unity of the government and you have people in government who we are told, through the media, are thinking about whether they should resign or not.'

Tory - Cabinet - Ministers

He also tore into Tory Cabinet ministers who have 'let it be known'...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!