How to Navigate Conversations About Sexual Identity

Desiring God | 7/18/2018 | Sam Allberry
josh567 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/how-to-navigate-conversations-about-sexual-identity-8kfikwea-en/landscape/how-to-navigate-conversations-about-sexual-identity-8kfikwea-2ec3c10d1efd9d6b877d4c9d2bed8238.jpg?ts=1531436536&ixlib=rails-2.1.4&w=800&h=450&auto=format,compress&fit=min

We’re back one last time with Sam Allberry, author, speaker, and minister at St. Mary’s Maidenhead Anglican Church in the UK, joining us from his office in Oxford. Sam, I want to talk with you about the sexual-identity conversations you’ve had on secular college campuses. This is a huge question facing pastors and leaders. These conversations are as potentially volatile as they are potent for good.

Obviously, speaking of sex practices and self-identity, with biblical conviction and with humility, opens outreach opportunities like few other things. From your experience, what have you learned from publicly engaging LGBT societies on campus? And how can we steward these types of conversations well?

Surprise - Issue - Campuses - Moment - Suspicion

It’s no surprise that this is a huge issue on our campuses at the moment. My suspicion is that the majority of people who are in ministry in campus contexts are pretty fearful of how this issue may play out for them.

There’s the fear that if you say anything remotely orthodox and biblical on this issue that you’ll be shut down immediately — that you’ll have massive amounts of opposition. That is certainly a possibility. But nevertheless, I think there are just some wonderful opportunities to engage on this issue.

Encouragement - Pastors - Ministries - Harvest - Issue

My encouragement to pastors and to campus ministries out there is that actually there’s a harvest to be had on this issue. I’ve had some experience of doing this — not a huge amount, by any means, but I’ve had a few opportunities to go onto secular campuses to talk and engage with secular LGBT students.

I’ve really enjoyed it. I’ll be honest — it’s been a bit scary at times because you never know quite what kind of reaction you’re going to get. But I’ve really enjoyed it. There’s a few things that have been quite key takeaways for me.

The first is one...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Don't touch that, you don't know where it's been.