A new priest: ‘One thing seminary did not prepare me for was the fallout from the legalization of marijuana’

The Deacon's Bench | 7/17/2018 | Staff
darktm22darktm22 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/56/2018/07/foliage-1157792_960_720.jpg

Here’s something you don’t read every day, from Word on Fire:

As a recently ordained priest serving in the Great Northwest, I have found that one thing for which seminary did not prepare me was the cultural fallout from the legalization of marijuana. The growing phenomenon has made its way into parochial schools, youth groups, and even parish staff. When I recently set Google Maps to drive to St. Paul’s Cathedral in downtown Yakima, where I was to teach a class on Christian spirituality, the app routed me to “Sweet Cannabis Relief Supplies” as the location most similar to my search preference. The irony of the situation—seeking one form of fulfillment and being misdirected to another—brought to mind wider conversations in neuroscience and psychology today about the relationship between psychoactive drugs and religious experience.

Essay - Michael - Pollan - Book - Your

In a recent essay adapted from Michael Pollan’s new book, How to Change Your Mind: What the New Science of Psychedelics Teaches Us About Consciousness, Dying, Addiction, Depression and Transcendence, the Wall Street Journal reported on the use of LSD and psilocybin to treat...
(Excerpt) Read more at: The Deacon's Bench
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It's a fight to the death, which you will eventually lose...