DID TRUMP COMMIT TREASON AT PUTIN MEETING? HERE'S WHAT LAWYERS SAY

Newsweek | 7/16/2018 | Shane Croucher
katz1234 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://s.newsweek.com/sites/www.newsweek.com/files/styles/full/public/2018/07/17/trump-putin.jpg

There are many things you can accuse President Donald Trump of. And treason is now apparently one of those after his controversial press conference with Russia’s President Vladimir Putin at their summit in Helsinki, Finland. But do lawyers agree?

“Donald Trump’s press conference performance in Helsinki rises to & exceeds the threshold of ‘high crimes & misdemeanors,’” tweeted John Brennan, the former CIA director. “It was nothing short of treasonous. Not only were Trump’s comments imbecilic, he is wholly in the pocket of Putin. Republican Patriots: Where are you???”

Brennan - Premise - Press - Conference - Trump

Brennan’s premise is that at the press conference, Trump appeared to side with Putin over America’s own intelligence agencies on the issue of Russian interference in the 2016 presidential election.

Putin denies what the U.S. intelligence community is telling Trump—that the Kremlin used cyberwarfare to undermine American democracy. And Trump, whose 2016 campaign is under investigation by Special Counsel Robert Mueller over suspicions of collusion with the Russian government, seems to believe Putin.

US - President - Donald - Trump - L

US President Donald Trump (L) and Russia's President Vladimir Putin shake hands before attending a joint press conference after a meeting at the Presidential Palace in Helsinki, on July 16, 2018.

“I have President Putin. He just said it’s not Russia,” Trump told reporters after the pair met. “I will say this: I don’t see any reason why it would be… I have great confidence in my intelligence people, but I will tell you that President Putin was extremely strong and powerful in his denial today."

Law - Treason - US - Code - §

According to federal law on treason, 18 U.S. Code § 2381: “Whoever, owing allegiance to the United States, levies war against them or adheres to their enemies, giving them aid and comfort within the United States or elsewhere, is guilty of treason and shall suffer death, or shall be imprisoned not less than five years and fined under...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Newsweek
Wake Up To Breaking News!