You Can’t Have a Healthy Marriage With a Sick Soul

ChurchLeaders | 7/12/2018 | Staff
maye (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://churchleaders-eszuskq0bptlfh8awbb.stackpathdns.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/7.13.HOME_.CC.HealthyMarriageSickSoul.jpg

In a book on soul keeping, John Ortberg gets about as honest as any writer I’ve ever read in revealing the petty ways we allow “little” spiritual sins to spoil our marriage. His words are a great springboard for us to discuss how it’s impossible to have a healthy marriage while harboring a sick soul.

With Nancy I just knew.

Except for when I didn’t.

Except for when she did something that bothered me, something that didn’t fit perfectly with my idealized, romanticized notion of what it would mean to have the greatest relationship ever.

Something - Something - Turn - Inside - Eye

When she would do something I didn’t like—when she disagreed too vehemently or I felt as if she was getting too directive—I would feel something turn cold inside of me. I would distance myself from her by making less eye contact and touching her less and speaking a little coldly.”

This is marvelous writing in a marvelous book (Soul Keeping: Caring for the Most Important Part of You), and I’m hoping John won’t mind the copious quotes since I’m also hoping this will help sell a ton of his books.

Way - John - Account - Years - Marriage

Unfortunately, I recognize way too much of myself in John’s account (maybe that’s why it resonated with me so much), particularly during the earlier years of my marriage.

“I wanted her to hurt”

Coldness - Eye - Contact - Less - Sends

That coldness I felt, which led me to respond with “less eye contact and touching her less and speaking a little coldly” sends (sorry for the pun) chills up my spine because that was me. I wasn’t verbally or physically abusive. That would have been too obvious. I’ve never used a swear word talking to Lisa and I’ve never even said something intentionally to hurt her. But I was good at withholding warmth. I’m ashamed of that. I hate it, looking back, but that’s what an immature person in...
(Excerpt) Read more at: ChurchLeaders
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: