The Christian Debate over Sexual Identity

Desiring God | 7/13/2018 | Sam Allberry
darkkazune (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://dg.imgix.net/the-christian-debate-over-sexual-identity-vhffedqo-en/landscape/the-christian-debate-over-sexual-identity-vhffedqo-341627f5cb0862ba669845038a24ac0a.jpg?ts=1530823923&ixlib=rails-2.1.4&w=800&h=450&auto=format,compress&fit=min

Today we’re joined by Sam Allberry, an author and speaker for Ravi Zacharias International Ministries, and a minister at St. Mary’s Maidenhead Anglican Church in the UK. He joins us today from his office in Oxford. Sam, we have much to discuss, so let’s dive in — right into the deep end really — into a big ongoing debate.

As we do so, I should say that this episode of APJ will be slightly different, because I want to use this opportunity to better understand an ongoing debate happening inside the church right now over same-sex attraction and orientation, and whether or not it’s appropriate to use the identifying label “gay Christian.” This episode is not an attempt to finally resolve that debate and all of its attendant issues. Nevertheless, Facebook and Twitter will likely blow up after this one by people who will want to resolve it all in a comment. My aim here is simply to raise the debate as it stands and to bring others up to speed with the tensions Christian brothers and sisters are struggling through. And to that end, we’ll look more closely at the orientation question in a moment.

Sam - Explain - Phrase - Attracted

First, Sam, explain to us what you mean by the phrase “same-sex attracted.”

These are some very big issues. I can only sketch out where I am on my own thinking on this. Certainly for me, the only romantic and sexual feelings I’ve ever experienced have been toward other men. That’s been a feature of my life since I’ve had those kinds of feelings.

Way - Christian - While - Culture - Language

So I’ve been trying to think through what is the best way of articulating that as a Christian for a while. Obviously, in our secular culture, the language people would typically and obviously use would be to say, “Well, I’m gay.” But in my...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Desiring God
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: