Octi raises $7.5M to create augmented reality that understands human movement

TechCrunch | 7/12/2018 | Staff
TwiztedGurl (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/GettyImages-490863886.jpg?w=599

The team at Octi says it’s building a crucial piece of the augmented reality puzzle — the ability to understand the human body and its movement.

Co-founder and CEO Justin Fuisz told me that most existing AR technologies (including Apple’s AR Kit) tend to be “plane-based” — in other words, while they can make something cool appear against a real-world background, it’s usually on a flat surface, like a table or the floor.

Octi - Hand - People - Understanding - Variety

Octi, on the other hand, recognizes where people are in-camera, and it can use that understanding to apply a variety of different effects.

For example, Fuisz and his team showed me how they could dance around their office while bright, squiggly lines overlaid their bodies — and then they erased their bodies entirely. They also showed me how effects could be tied to different gestures, like how a “make it rain” motion could result in dollar bills flying out of thier hands.

Octi - Machine - Learning - Computer - Vision

To do this, Octi says it’s built sophisticated machine learning and computer vision technology. For starters, it looks at a human being and detects key points like...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!
An enemy of death and destruction