Emmerdale star Ash Palmisciano talks about being the first transgender character on the soap

Mail Online | 7/12/2018 | Olivia Wheeler For Mailonline
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/12/13/4E28A38E00000578-0-image-a-101_1531398824621.jpg

Click For Video: https://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/07/12/8472073228135186550/1024x576_MP4_8472073228135186550.mp4

He auditioned for the role of Matty Barton by chance after visiting the award-winning ITV soap with charity, All About Trans.

And actor, Ash Palmisciano, talked about being the first transgender character on Emmerdale and what a positive impact his role has had with fans during an interview on Thursday's Lorraine.

Transgender - Soap - Star - Debut - ITV

The transgender soap star made his debut on the ITV soap in June, as his character Matty, formerly known as Moira’s daughter Hannah Barton, turned up unexpectedly at Butler’s Farm to get his birth certificate.

And after being knocked unconscious by Cain Dingle, who mistook him for an intruder, Matty returns to the village next week in hospital after being brutally attacked, with the horrific ordeal bringing Moira closer to her son.

Soap - Character - Storyline - Actor - Ash

Talking about joining the soap, his character and the upcoming storyline, actor Ash said: 'It is a big thing. I was kind of expecting it to create a bit of a stir, but I wasn't expecting how much of an impact it was going to have.

'You know, I've just had so many lovely messages about the nature of the storyline and how it's affected people. That's fantastic, I couldn't ask for more.'

Chance - Audition - Role - 'It - Charity

Talking about his chance audition and how he got the role, he added: 'It is crazy. There's this amazing charity called All About Trans. They work with trying to make positive representations of trans people in the media.

'They said to me, we're doing an interaction with Emmerdale as they're thinking about doing this storyline. They're looking for some advice on positive reps, do you want to come? I was like: 'Yeah, sure, a cheeky day out!' I went along, next thing they said would...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sorry Mr. Franklin, we couldn't keep it.