Inspired by Rachel Held Evans’s Inspired

Good Letters | 7/12/2018 | Staff
urbanagirl3 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/162/2018/07/robson-hatsukami-morgan-178532-unsplash.jpg

Fridays used to be pizza and a movie nights, growing up. My dad would bring home a ridiculously greasy pizza from a little place in the next town over called Pizza Stop.

It was on one of these nights, as I recall, that we watched DeMille’s Ten Commandments. As good churchgoing Christians, we knew the story, and we soaked in the spectacle and horrors of the plagues, the magic of the parting of the Red Sea, and, notably, Moses’s fearsome encounter with Yahweh on Mt. Sinai.

Moment - God - Charleton - Heston - Pillar

In that moment, God appears to Charleton Heston as an animated pillar of fire, and he literally writes each commandment on the stone mountainside with spiraling arms of fire.

As a child, I was prepared to believe every miracle story as it was written. I’d already seen people speak in tongues and heard prophecy in our church.

Part - Idea - Bible - Arms - Way

Some part of me had an idea that the whole Bible was written with those fiery arms, or perhaps in a less spectacular but still miraculous way. No one was really specific about what it meant for the Bible to be the “word of God” or “given to us by God.”

Through middle school and high school I slowly started appreciating that human beings literally wrote the words, but it wasn’t until a Bible course in college that it dawned on me that other humans had to put the Bible together.

Moment - History - Church - Thoughtful - Beings—my

It wasn’t unsettling so much as awe-inspiring, arresting: there was a moment in the history of the church when thoughtful, educated, but fallible human beings—my fellow Christians of old—debated and fought and ultimately collated what would become the most important anthology of all time.

Plenty of people have concluded on these grounds that Scripture cannot be truly “inspired” by God.

Plenty - People - History - NIV

Plenty of people have ignored history and convinced themselves that the NIV is the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Good Letters
Wake Up To Breaking News!
You can never use the word unexpected when it comes to abuse of power by the government.
Tagged: