Dershowitz: 'Kavanaugh is Dead Wrong' on Impeachment, 'He Should Read the Constitution'

CNS News | 7/11/2018 | Staff
applecup (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/screen_shot_2018-07-11_at_5.44.32_pm.png

When asked about Judge Brett Kavanuagh's view that a president can be impeached for doing something "dastardly," constitutional expert and Harvard Law Professor Alan Dershowitz said Kavanaugh is "dead wrong" and "he should go back and read the Constitution." Kavanaugh is President Donald Trump's nominee to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy on the U.S. Supreme Court.

During a July 10 interview on CNN's New Day, host John Berman questioned Dershowitz about Kavanaugh's view on impeachment, which Kavanaugh had explained at length in a 2009 article in The Minnesota Law Review.

Article - Kavanaugh - Constitution - President - Crime

In that article, Kavanaugh argued that, under the Constitution, a sitting president cannot be indicted and tried for a crime because it would cripple the government. Dershowitz agreed with that view, saying, the "Constitution forbids the prosecution of a sitting president because it says you can only prosecute a president after he's been impeached and after he's left office."

As the discussion continued, Berman noted that Kavanaugh has said that "if the president does something dastardly," he can be impeached.

Dershowitz - Felix - Frankfurter - Professor - Law

Dershowitz, the Felix Frankfurter Professor of Law emeritus at Harvard Law School and the author/co-author of 34 books, said that Kavanaugh is "dead wrong" and "he should go back -- he should read the Constitution."

"He should read the Constitution," said Dershowitz. "And I think when he does read the Constitution and when he reads my book, and I will send him a copy of it, he will see I'm...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!