Model Salem Mitchell claps back at racist remark on Instagram

Mail Online | 7/11/2018 | Chloe Castleberry For Dailymail.com
iloveangie02 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/07/11/19/4E22294E00000578-0-image-a-78_1531334560154.jpg

A model has clapped back at a social media user who rudely called her 'ghetto' in a racist Instagram comment.

Salem Mitchell, 20, posed for a photo in a red bathing suit in a dreamy beach setting, which she posted on her Instagram page. The snap was later posted by Vogue's account, which is when someone commented: 'What with these ghetto people vogue been showing lately is not like vogue at all. Lol [sic].'

Model - Instagram - Stories - Racist - Remark

The model took to Instagram Stories to respond to the racist remark, explaining why calling black women 'ghetto' is offensive and harmful.

'The reason black women/[people of color] fight so hard for representation, diversity, and over cultural appropriation is because of this,' Salem wrote in her Story.

Media - Fashion - Freckles - Braids - Lips

'Everything about what I look like is considered "trendy" in the media and in fashion right now. The freckles, the braids, the big lips, etc. But on a black woman it's ghetto for NO reason and we're tired of it.'

She added: 'It's just crazy to me because it's little things like that that are so rude to me. For black women no one considers who we are as people, what we've accomplished, how we carry ourselves.

Appearance - Classifies - Ghetto - Features - Women

'My appearance classifies me as ghetto when the features I possess are glorified and praised on white women.'

In an interview with Teen Vogue, Salem explained why she decided to publicly address the racist comment.

Comment - Racist - Publication - Photo - Woman

'I wanted to speak out on this particular comment because it was completely discriminatory [and] completely racist,' she told the publication. 'It wasn't, "I think she's ugly" or "I don't like this photo." It was, "By looking at this woman, the first way I can describe her is by calling her a ghetto person."'

'Calling me ghetto or any black woman ghetto based on a photo is so dismissive of who we are as people,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Conservatives are to the GOP what oil is to water, and the GOPe spend most of their time skimming it off or setting it on fire.