Employee Picks: A Wacky Sex Comedy, Deranged Italian Horror, and Psychedelic ’70s Sci-fi

/Film | 7/11/2018 | Jacob Knight
Click For Photo: https://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/constant-gardener-brainscan-last-american-virgin.jpg

Hello and welcome back to Employee Picks! In case you missed the rules in the first and second editions of the column: for every big-name motion picture on the horizon, I suggest something from the archives to watch in its place that’s either thematically, spiritually, or tangentially related.Yes, I have fully accepted my role in this world: the goofball hipster who wants you to get the **** out of the multiplex and into the realm of pure weirdness (and I won’t apologize one bit).

With those general parameters in mind, here are my alternative picks for every big movie dropping on Blu-Ray, DVD or VOD this July.

Blockers - Group - Parents - John - Cena

Where Blockers sees a group of parents – including John Cena and Leslie Mann – trying to prevent their kids from getting down on prom night, The Last American Virgin (which finds Boaz Davidson remaking his own ’78 Israeli coming of age farce Lemon Popsicle) is possibly the ultimate teen sex movie, as a group of dorks work their asses off to get rid of their V-Cards. Scored to one of the greatest soundtracks ever assembled – showcasing The Cars, Blondie, and The Police – it climaxes in one of the most unexpectedly melancholy final shots in the history of cinema. Come for the **** jokes, stay to get your heart broke.

The Last American Virgin is available on Blu-ray, courtesy of Olive Films.

Fernando - Meirelles - City - God - Follow-up

Fernando Meirelles’ City of God follow-up is one of the better modern big screen John le Carré adaptations, as Ralph Fiennes’ devastated diplomat investigates the murder of his activist wife Tessa (Rachel Weisz), haunted by regret regarding their marriage and rumors of her possibly sleeping around during their final years together. Meirelles spins the story into an overwhelmingly sad adventure that uncovers corporate corruption and climaxes in tear-jerking sacrifice. This is one of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!