What it takes to be a World Cup referee

Business Insider | 7/11/2018 | Graham Flanagan
lhumara (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://amp.businessinsider.com/images/5b461b3dc0229b2b008b468b-1136-568.jpg

We talked to a former FIFA World Cup assistant referee about what it takes to be part of an officiating crew in the international soccer tournament. Sean Hurd worked as an assistant referee in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil on a crew led by Mark Geiger.

We talked to Hurd about his path to the World Cup, what it's like communicating with international players, his intense fitness regimen, how much World Cup referees get paid, and what it's like being in the middle of the world's biggest stage for soccer. Following is a transcript of the video.

Hurd - Part - Crew - Tournaments - FIFA

Sean Hurd: I was selected to be part of a crew, and then from there, we were evaluated at various tournaments, and FIFA related events, as well as our domestic league and Major League Soccer. We went through a qualification, and ultimately, in January of 2014, were selected for the World Cup.

It's extremely competitive. Myself and Mark Geiger were the only two, from the U.S., that were selected. That should tell you right there, just in our own country, how competitive it is, and then, we've gotta compete with the rest of the world.

United - States - Mark - Terms - Refereeing

Quite honestly, the United States is finally starting to make a mark, in terms of refereeing, in the international scene, but previously, just like a lot of our players, the international scene views us as not being able to be very high level, playing or refereeing.

Four years later now, in talking about it, I still get goosebumps. The emotions of the game just start to take over. You can hear the crowd roaring. Once we walked out onto the field, then all the nerves went away, and we just focused...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Business Insider
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: