Bobcat Goldthwait on Satirizing Trump Through a Toddler-Eating Werewolf — Turn It On Podcast

IndieWire | 7/11/2018 | Staff
joyy (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.indiewire.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Bobcat-Goldthwait_Steve-Dietl2FtruTV-e1531251649343.jpg?w=780

No matter how many times Bobcat Goldthwait takes a film to Sundance or premieres another new project, he knows that — for some people — he’ll forever be known as the guy who screams in the “Police Academy” movies. And he’s OK with that.

“I don’t get too hung up on what people think of me,” Goldthwait told IndieWire’s TURN IT ON podcast. “But that persona, it’s this weird thing, as a guy who’s made seven movies and had a bunch play Sundance. I made a movie about child abuse, a documentary, and it was very well received at film festivals. Then I look at a review and it says, ‘Bobcat Goldthwait (Police Academy).’ I can’t expect that to go away.”

Episodes - Goldthwait - TruTV - Anthology - Series

In one of the episodes of Goldthwait’s new truTV anthology series, “Bobcat Goldthwait’s Misfits & Monsters,” Seth Green plays a voiceover actor who’s similarly racing from his past. In the episode, Green’s character gives a goofy, stuttering voice to a cartoon character named “Bubba Bear.” But then Bubba appears for real — angry about how he’s been given such an over-the-top, stereotypical depiction.

“It wasn’t until my daughter pointed it out to me after we edited it, ‘you didn’t understand it’s you?'” Goldthwait said. “I didn’t get it because I’m an idiot! Obviously, it’s a satire about myself, where there’s this character that’s killing me!”

IndieWire - TURN - IT - ON - Podcast

IndieWire’s TURN IT ON podcast recently sat down with Goldthwait to discuss the new series, which is both timely and timeless as it tackles everything from sexual harassment to a Trump-like political figure who eats toddlers, to a man haunted by the animated character he voices. We began by discussing the benefits of being able to tell so many stories over one season. Listen below!

In the new eight-episode scripted anthology series, each twisted episode contains plenty of thrills...
(Excerpt) Read more at: IndieWire
Wake Up To Breaking News!