Bobcat Goldthwait on How ‘Misfits & Monsters’ is Like ‘Get Out’ [Interview]

/Film | 7/10/2018 | Fred Topel
Click For Photo: http://d13ezvd6yrslxm.cloudfront.net/wp/wp-content/images/misfits-and-monsters.jpg

Bobcat Goldthwait makes edgy indie movies that tackle taboo subjects. They find good homes at film festivals and arthouse theaters, but now he’s got a weekly TV show to unleash his sensibility on the masses. Bobcat Goldthwait’s Misfits & Monsters tells a new story every week, with some outrageous twist.

For example, the premiere episode, “Bubba the Bear.” Seth Green plays an actor whose finds it even harder to get taken seriously when his famous animated character comes to life. Goldthwait may have faced the same battle metaphorically when he transitioned from an ‘80s comic to become a serious director.

Goldthwait - /Film - Television - Critics - Association

Goldthwait sat down with /Film during the Television Critics Association press tour to discus Misfits & Monsters. He told us what some of the other episodes will be about and what they may have in common with his movies, and other movies he admires. Bobcat Goldthwait’s Misfits & Monsters premieres Wednesday, July 11 at 10 p.m. on TruTv.

Is the Bubba the Bear episode indicative of what the other episodes will be like?

Thing - Majority - Episodes - Satire - Bubba

Yeah, I mean, I think the only thing that’s different is in the majority of the episodes, there’s a little more satire going on. It took me ‘til after I finished the Bubba the Bear episode, I didn’t understand what I was satirizing. It was my daughter who goes, “Yeah, you want to kill that character that people know you from and it was killing you all these years.” I was like, “Oh, I didn’t catch that.” I didn’t get that. I’m kind of a dummy. I make movies and not realize until afterwards, “Oh, I’m the protagonist.”

So Bubba was the animal voice you were doing in standup and ‘80s comedies.

Satire - Episodes

I guess it was. I didn’t realize it. I think the satire in the upcoming episodes are less personal. One of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: /Film
Wake Up To Breaking News!