Peanuts Marks 50 Years in Space with New NASA Mission for Snoopy

Space.com | 7/10/2018 | Staff
mel4 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://img.purch.com/h/1000/aHR0cDovL3d3dy5zcGFjZS5jb20vaW1hZ2VzL2kvMDAwLzA3Ny82NDIvb3JpZ2luYWwvbmFzYS1wZWFudXRzLXNub29weS1zcGFjZS1hY3QwMS5qcGc=?&imgtype=.jpg

NASA has a new mission for Snoopy, 50 years after the comic strip beagle first entered service for the U.S. space program.

NASA and Peanuts Worldwide announced on Tuesday (July 10) a new multiyear Space Act Agreement that provides the space agency the chance to use Snoopy and the other characters created by the late Charles M. Schulz to help promote NASA's future deep space exploration missions and its on-going efforts to engage students in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) activities.

San - Diego - Comic-Con - Set - Astronaut

A San Diego Comic-Con exclusive set of Astronaut Snoopy figures celebrate the beagle's past and future in space.

"My husband, Charles Schulz, fully embraced a collaboration with NASA for Snoopy," said Jeannie Schulz in a statement released by Peanuts Worldwide. "He was inspired to create a series of original comic strips detailing Snoopy's fantastical journeys through space. Those strips remain among the most popular ones in circulation today,"

Partnership - Heights - May - NASA - Apollo

The partnership reached new heights in May 1969, when NASA's Apollo 10 command and lunar modules launched with the crew-chosen call signs, "Charlie Brown" and "Snoopy." The Apollo 10 mission, which served as a full-up dress rehearsal for the first moon landing two months later, was to "snoop around," scouting the Apollo 11 landing site, hence the inspiration for borrowing the beagle and his owner's names.

"My father once told me that when NASA selected his characters, Charlie Brown and Snoopy, to be the names chosen for the modules for the Apollo 10 mission on its trip to the moon, that it was the proudest moment in his career," said Craig Schulz, producer of the 2015 "The Peanuts Movie" and youngest son of the comic strip creator. "He was...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Space.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Keep the change!