NARAL President: ‘We Take the President at His Word’ on Litmus Test for SCOTUS Justices to Overturn Roe v. Wade

CNS News | 7/9/2018 | Staff
chrismpotts (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/ilyse_hogue.png

(CNSNews.com) – NARAL Pro-Choice America President Ilyse Hogue told “Fox News Sunday” she believes President Donald Trump will apply a litmus test to the potential Supreme Court justice he selects to replace Justice Anthony Kennedy.

“You know, we take the president at his word. He's the president of the United States, and he is certainly the first major party nominee who went on to be president to put a litmus test on Supreme Court justices, and that was to actually overturn Roe v. Wade. So, we believe him,” Hogue said.

Vice - President - Roe - Heap - History

“He's got a vice president who committed to, you know, throw Roe on an ash heap of history. So we think that's the mind-set that many Americans are actually going into this with because it was such a vocal talking point for him,” she said.

“We also know that the backpedaling that's happening now from people who have long been critics of Roe v. Wade is partially because they know what we know, which is most American people actually, regardless of how they feel personally about abortion, believe that legal access is core to our country's precedence,” Hogue said.

States - Abortion - Hogue - Texas - State

When asked whether she would be okay with letting states decide whether abortion should be legal, Hogue said, “I'm from Texas and so I'm very familiar with what happens when the state decides. It's, you know, similar to other freedoms and protections of people we've seen in this country without a federal guideline that affirms the fact that Roe should be legal.

“Many states already have decided that abortion should be criminalized. In fact, there are states with laws on the books right now that would make abortion the criminal act the minute Roe falls, and that makes women and doctors criminals,” she said. “And so we think that the federal protection is necessary.”

Hogue - People

Hogue said people...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Sometimes I Wake Up Grumpy. Other Times I Let Her Sleep
Tagged: