ABOUT SHELOVES

SheLoves Magazine | 7/9/2018 | Nicole T Walters
kshama-s (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://shelovesmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/nicole-t-walters-the-messy-path-to-the-promised-land-2.jpg

People think life overseas is one big adventure. It’s not.

It’s still just life, lived out in an unfamiliar location. You quickly forget the exotic and get into mundane patterns of existence. The rains that flood the streets whenever there is a downpour aren’t interesting anymore, but just an obstacle that makes the kids’ bus two hours late coming home from school. You make the mistake once of trying to go out before Iftar and learn the hard way that you should stay home after four o’clock for the entire month of Ramadan to avoid the standstill traffic. You trudge down the same sidewalks and past the same half-erected buildings day in and day out because going much farther than your small section of the massive city drains the remaining energy that the sweltering heat hasn’t already taken from you.

Days - Walls - Battle - Sea - Beautiful

Many days you stare at the same walls as you stay inside, too tired to battle it all. You look out over a sea of green you noticed as beautiful when you first came, but the beauty is lost on you. You see the exotic looking banana trees but only to notice they have all grown down into cracking sidewalks, pushing their roots through the bricks constantly in need of repair. You may be able to see a small, luscious yard but it is behind the gated walls of one of the few verandas dotting the sea of high-rise apartments. Your territory has become concrete walls and bared windows, looking out over a section of the earth that feels very small despite its millions of inhabitants.

Maybe the view out your window looks very different than mine but I have the sneaking feeling you might have looked at it in the same way at some point. I have literally and figuratively felt trapped...
(Excerpt) Read more at: SheLoves Magazine
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: