I crossed 3 countries in 14 hours on 4 trains and a bus. And I'm not dead.

CNET | 7/8/2018 | Geoffrey Morrison
camkizzle (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/6AcdS01fj9Gx3S3BAKkBV92gXq4=/670x503/2018/07/05/32ea676a-ce8a-4c38-8449-61c6d5f92371/tickets-together.jpg

This was a bad idea.

With that thought pulsing through my addled brain, I stand staring at the wrought-iron structure of the Victorian-era Newcastle station at 6:30 in the morning. I've been awake for an hour or so. Sometime tonight, barring any surprises, I'll be in Spain. Between here and there, over 1,000 miles, three high-speed trains, a subway, and a bus. Adding in time waiting or transferring between stations, and the next 14 hours are spoken for.

Answer - Weekend - Friend - Newcastle - England

Why do I keep doing this to myself? The simple answer is that I'd spent the weekend with a friend in Newcastle, in northeast England (really, to eat at the incredible Allard's, but let's say it was to see my friend). I'd planned on heading to northern Spain afterward, but it turned out to be more difficult than I expected. The flight options were either expensive, terrible or a perfect blend of expensive and terrible.

Staring down the barrel of spending the better part of a day on planes and in airports anyway, I had the crazy idea to take the train instead. And write an article about it.

Second - Years - Virgin - Trains - East

After losing £2 per second for 3 years, Virgin Trains East Coast had its franchise contract terminated by the British government, nationalizing the East Coast Main Line route for the third time in 12 years. The resulting government-owned London North Eastern Railway, barely a week old, still use Virgin's InterCity 225s. These aging-but-comfortable high-speed electrics cruise at around 125mph. The "Flying Scotsman" route, southbound to London King's Cross station, arrives on time. I step aboard with a bevvy of Geordie commuters and Southerners gannin yem.

I settle into my window seat. Delightfully, no one sits beside me. With no stops between here and London, I relax, write these words, and enjoy the passing of the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
It had only one fault, it was useless.