Journalism student passes key exam that tests his writing speed by using his MOUTH

Mail Online | 7/6/2018 | Stephen Matthews For Mailonline
liizu (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/22/17/4D87365200000578-0-image-a-49_1529685123595.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/06/22/5301481170715457478/1024x576_MP4_5301481170715457478.mp4

Incredible video footage shows a journalism student gripping a pen with his teeth to pass a writing exam.

Alex McKenzie, an aspiring sports reporter, suffers from arthrogryposis, which has left his joints in fixed positions that he is unable to bend or flex.

Shorthand - Art - Note-taking - Skill - Reporters

He feared he would never be able to learn shorthand - the art of quick note-taking, and considered to be a crucial skill for reporters.

But Mr McKenzie, a final year student at Nottingham Trent University, failed to let his condition hold him back in his pursuit of a glittering career.

Pen - Mouth - School - Molars

The 23-year-old first learned to hold a pen in his mouth at primary school, by gripping it with his molars.

And the technique has now helped Mr McKenzie, originally from Nottingham, obtain his 60 words per minute shorthand qualification.

Mr - McKenzie - 'My - Tutors - Anyone

Mr McKenzie, who is registered disabled, said: 'My tutors said they have never seen anyone do shorthand this way before.

'When we first began learning shorthand, I genuinely didn’t believe I would pass any of the speeds.

Words - Minute - Certificate

'To now have the 60 words per minute certificate is great and I felt relieved when I found out.'

He added: 'I learned this technique at a very young age so I can't actually remember the time it was suggested to me to try to write this way.

Something

'It’s just something I’ve always remembered doing and it feels natural to me.'

Mr McKenzie knew that shorthand exams were an essential part of the journalism course when he applied for university.

Publications - Journalists

Many publications only employ journalists...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!