Nintendo's enjoying a renaissance. Meet the man helping to keep it that way

CNET | 6/29/2018 | Ian Sherr
normanorma (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cnet3.cbsistatic.com/img/3Pqc5fY3ByQLoUDNHoFfTKTFnz8=/670x503/2017/01/13/346799d3-eb2e-4bb4-b542-b08952f810c6/breath-of-the-wild.png

When I first picked up a Nintendo Switch, I almost didn't believe it was real.

It was a week before the device's release, and I was preparing to travel to the East Coast with my wife and toddler. I turned it on, fired up The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and was amazed. I spent the next two months straight playing whenever I could: When our son took a nap on the plane, when everyone went to sleep at night, and during his naps on the weekends. I wasn't the only one hooked.

Breath - Wild - Moment - Legend - Zelda

"Breath of the Wild is a defining moment for The Legend of Zelda series, and the most impressive game Nintendo has ever created," CNET sister site GameSpot wrote in its review at the time.

Six months later, Nintendo surprised again with Super Mario Odyssey, the 23rd major game for the plumber who sets off to save Princess Peach from the evil Bowser. The game quickly became the 18th best-rated game of all time, and has racked up more than 10 million copies sold.

Games - Months - Wisdom - Nintendo - Dustbin

These two games, which came out within nine months of each other, were even more surprising because before 2017, conventional wisdom had it that Nintendo was headed toward the dustbin of history. It'd made significant strategic errors; its games weren't coming out at a rapid enough pace to get people's attention; and the ones that did come out -- like the highly anticipated sequel to the popular Star Fox space battle games -- got mixed reviews.

So what changed at Nintendo to turn things around?

Shinya - Takahashi - Manager - Nintendo - Entertainment

To find out, I sat down with Shinya Takahashi, general manager for Nintendo's Entertainment Planning and Development Division, during the Electronic Entertainment Expo. The answer, he said, boiled down to making teams at Nintendo work together more and increasing communication between the company's...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNET
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Homeschool or State Thought Police School, you choose.