TAKING THE LEAD

First Things | 10/1/2017 | R. R. Reno
adele2234 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://www.firstthings.com/uploads/article_5b30f6172bce7.jpg

My staff tells me we can’t enroll in “Facebook donate.” That’s the direct-donation feature allowing users to embed a donate button on their Facebook pages, posting messages such as: “In lieu of gifts on my birthday this year, please donate to my favorite nonprofit, First Things.” Except, of course, you can’t do that for First Things. We get the runaround every time we request access to Facebook’s direct-donation function.

Maybe we’re frozen out because of some oversight. Or maybe Facebook, like so many other gigantic global corporations, wants to sideline those who aren’t on board with the latest progressive pieties. It’s hard to know, because they won’t answer our inquiries. Fortunately, no tech giant can prevent us from embedding a donate button on our own website.

Things - Movement - Things - Sensibilities - Opinion

I suppose it’s to be expected. First Things is not a go-along, get-along movement. We say things that offend the delicate sensibilities of those who enforce “right opinion” these days. God is the highest good. Men and women are different. Life must be defended, from conception until natural death. Children are not consumer products. A free economy must serve the common good. Sodomy is a sin.

We seek to lead, not follow. That means taking risks. More than twenty years ago, our founder, Richard John Neuhaus, published a symposium, “The End of Democracy.” The Supreme Court’s Casey decision cementing abortion rights into our legal system was fairly recent. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals had found a right to doctor-assisted suicide. The powerful locomotive that would haul us to same-sex marriage was gaining momentum. The contributors questioned the legitimacy of our regime. Re-reading that symposium recently, I was struck by its prescience.

Lead

We’re still taking the lead.

We speak frankly about...
(Excerpt) Read more at: First Things
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: