Tracee Ellis Ross On The Changing Landscape Of Inclusivity, Solving Pay Disparity & Directing ‘Black-ish’

Deadline | 6/22/2018 | Antonia Blyth
joyy (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://pmcdeadline2.files.wordpress.com/2017/01/rexfeatures_7734778q.jpg?w=605

About to enter its fifth season, Black-ish has so far earned Tracee Ellis Ross two Emmy noms and a Globe win for the role of Rainbow ‘Bow’ Johnson.

In Season 4, Ross took the helm to direct an episode that marked the beginning of a separation for the sitcom’s beloved couple Bow and Dre (Anthony Anderson). Amid protests from fans, the couple were fortunately reunited by the season finale, but not before making audiences both laugh and cry through the story arc.

Advocate - Equality - Inclusivity - Ross - Industry

A longtime advocate for equality and inclusivity, Ross discusses how the industry’s perception of diversity has changed since her eight-year run on Girlfriends (2000-2008), Black-ish’s decision to cancel an episode that referenced black NFL players ‘taking a knee’ during the National Anthem, and her recent dealings with a pay disparity issue on the show.

You recently gave a speech where you mentioned that despite your success, you get asked why you’re not married and don’t have kids. Do you feel you’re being judged?

Paradigm - Language - Mean - Someone - Today

You know, I don’t know if I feel judged, but that certainly is a paradigm that we’re all still breaking through. Both in how we language it…I mean, even someone today really, truly meant to be supportive in what she was asking, but unconsciously still framed it in a way that was, “I know that you’ve chosen your career over having a family.” And I was like, “No, I haven’t!” I was like, “There was no point in my life where I chose career over a relationship, or over having a child. This just happens to be where I’ve landed.” So I think it’s not the fault of every individual. I think it really is a systemic response to culture’s way of having an expectation of women within patriarchy and all of that. I think we are one of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Deadline
Wake Up To Breaking News!