4 Random Leadership Principles Learned the Hard Way

Ron Edmondson | 6/20/2018 | Ron Edmondson
monna (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://ronedmondson.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/EE3C2FD1-5C4A-4035-A3B3-C1389083345B.jpeg

Here are four random leadership observations I’ve learned the hard way. And, some I repeated many times. I hope you can learn them from me without having to repeat them.

Don’t make solo decisions involving people.

Decisions - Leader - People

The hardest decisions a leader makes always involve people.

Many times a leader knows the right thing to do in employment situations, but simply needs (whether the leader knows it or not) someone to confirm it. That’s why we must continually surround ourselves with other people we trust and never make decisions involving people alone. This is true whether hiring, firing, or correcting.

Times - Person - Wife - Times - Coworkers

At times, the person helping me discern has been my wife. Other times it has been other coworkers or a team of people formed only for this purpose, obviously dependent upon the confidentiality of the situation. If you’re hiring a new employee you would include different people than if you were having to release someone. In some cases you need outside advice. I have consistently relied on a board of advisors in leadership – whether formal to the organization or informally gathered by me.

Bottom line: Rarely make decisions alone, which impact people in major way.

Things - Things

Little things can be big things.

The little things are often bigger deals and cause more problems in an organization than the big things.

Something - Enthusiasm - Example - Person - Team

Take something such as enthusiasm, for example. One person on the team has one success in his or her area and it’s worth celebrating to them and those closest to them. But, that one smaller dose of enthusiasm, if celebrated well and strategically, may become contagious to the entire team. A little enthusiasm goes a long way.

The reverse is true also. If one person on the team develops a negative attitude, for example, and it’s allowed to continue impacting the team, the entire team might be affected. And, it...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Ron Edmondson
Wake Up To Breaking News!