'I'm a footnote in one of the greatest moments in history': Thomas Markle's regret at not giving Meghan away, how he cried during royal wedding and was jealous but thankful 'handsome' Prince Charles stepped in

Mail Online | 6/18/2018 | Amie Gordon;Alexander Robertson For Mailonline
Fubu_chik (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/18/09/4D5DA8FE00000578-0-image-a-22_1529311249548.jpg

Meghan Markle's father today gave an emotionally charged interview expressing his profound regret at not walking his beloved daughter down the aisle.

Thomas Markle Snr choked back tears as he reflected on the royal wedding and revealed how he had planned to attend the big day until he was forced to pull out at the eleventh hour.

Told - Good - Morning - Britain - Daughter

The 73-year-old told Good Morning Britain his daughter cried when she learned the news, but said he was 'honoured' that the Prince of Wales took on the job of walking Meghan down the aisle instead.

Mr Markle said he broke the news to Meghan about his absence in an emotional phone call just days before she was due to walk down the aisle in Windsor Castle's St George's Chapel.

Wedding - California - Heart - Surgery

He watched the wedding from California, where he was recovering from heart surgery.

In an interview with ITV's Good Morning Britain, Mr Markle said: 'They were disappointed.

'Take - Care - You'

'Meghan cried, I'm sure, and they both said 'Take care of yourself, we are really worried about you'.'

He added: 'I absolutely wanted to walk my daughter down the aisle.'

Meghan - Father - Aisle - Offset - Daughter

On whether Meghan had wanted her father to walk her down the aisle from the offset, he said: 'Absolutely, from the very start. I absolutely wanted to walk my daughter down the aisle. Absolutely.'

He added: 'I knew I could rise to that occasion. I'd be limping down the aisle, but I knew none the less that I could walk my daughter down the aisle. Of course. I definitely wanted that. That was in the plan. That would have to be.'

Show - Plans - Place - Weeks - Wedding

And he told the show those plans remained in place two weeks before the wedding.

He said: 'I was excited about that and ready for it. Me going to England, that was set, it was all set in place for me to go.

'Harry

'Harry said I...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!