January Is the New November, and Other Surprising E3 Trends

WIRED | 6/15/2018 | Julie Muncy
aniki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://media.wired.com/photos/5b22d8770105105e90d027ed/191:100/pass/EAP18_Screenshots_FINAL%20copy.jpg

E3 2018 is wrapping up, which means that it's time for everyone in the videogame world to pull out their crystal balls. Is extrapolating from a few hours' worth of press briefings and demos to a cohesive analysis of the prospects of gaming at large isn't a foolproof venture? Of course not, but I've been that doesn't mean I'm not going to read the tea leaves. Herein, the most interesting trends that emerged at this week's show.

I honestly thought we were past this. For years now, the idea of a robust cloud gaming streaming service has been the City of Eldorado for major games companies: precious, dearly desired, and absolutely impossible to find. After the abiding mediocrity of platforms like PlayStation Now and OnLive, I thought the videogame industry would have seen the folly of the enterprise and moved on. I was incorrect: both EA and Microsoft expressed interest in developing such services at their respective press conferences, and EA even showed off a prototype to journalists.

Demos - Work - Circumstances - Appeal - Service

Demos like these always work well under controlled circumstances, and it's easy to see the appeal of such a service: What if you could offer your entire game library to everyone, regardless of their hardware, at all times? There's only one problem, and absolutely no one has a good answer for it: our internet infrastructure. Games involve a lot of data, and even if you're just streaming video and button inputs back and forth from the cloud, you still need consistent, reliably zippy internet to do that at a usable frame rate and video quality. And in the United States, that just isn't an option you can count on.

The average internet speed in the US is only 18.7 megabits per second—much lower in many places, especially rural areas—and the recent collapse of net neutrality...
(Excerpt) Read more at: WIRED
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Measuring his life out one teaspoon at a time.