Of Course: CNN Frets White House Will ‘Seize’ Upon I.G. Report, ‘Take’ a ‘Victory Lap’ Over Findings

NewsBusters | 6/14/2018 | Staff
marked (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: https://cdn.newsbusters.org/images/2018-06-14-cnn-newsroom-initialigreportreaction2.jpg

Moments after Thursday’s long-awaited release of the Department of Justice Inspector General report on the FBI’s handling of the Hillary Clinton e-mail investigation, a CNN Newsroom panel dismissed it as a “mild” report in which “[t]he other shoe didn’t drop” and will provide “[p]lenty of ammunition for both sides.” However, they fretted that the White House will “seize” on its findings and “take” a “victory lap” considering some of the findings.

Senior legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin went first, telling host Brooke Baldwin that there’s “[p]lenty of ammunition for both sides” because “[i]f you think the FBI didn't like Hillary Clinton and didn't want to see here elected president and was biased against her, you can find that in this report” and vice versa concerning Donald Trump and his supporters.

Analyst - Gloria - Borger - Reaction - Reaction

Chief political analyst Gloria Borger observed that “what we're seeing in the reaction here is a very partisan reaction and predictable” and that there was no widespread political bias at the FBI.

The other shoe didn't drop. I mean, we knew a lot of the facts here. Very poor judgment exercised, in my view, by the Attorney General — former Attorney General Loretta lynch. Really poor judgement James Comey, stupid e-mails between FBI participants in the investigation. We knew all that. The other shoe, which I anticipated, didn’t happen. That is, the inspector general, I thought, would come out and say and then I saw some of this bias reflected in activities at the core of the investigation that questioned the integrity of the investigation. Didn’t happen. I expected a sledge hammer. We just got the same kind of hammer you use to nail in a painting on the wall. I don’t — I didn’t — I was surprised at how mild it was.

Borger - FBI - Employees

Borger replied later that FBI employees are “allowed to...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NewsBusters
Wake Up To Breaking News!