'Babysitter' robot iPal gives maths lessons, tells jokes and keeps China's lonely children company

Mail Online | 6/14/2018 | Afp;Harry Pettit For Mailonline
aniki (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/14/16/4D3BA5CB00000578-0-image-a-70_1528988963152.jpg

Click For Video: http://video.dailymail.co.uk/video/mol/2018/05/28/8258895778466282346/1024x576_MP4_8258895778466282346.mp4

Parents in China are handing over babysitting duties to robots.

The £1,050 ($1,400) 'iPal' speaks two languages, gives maths lessons, tells jokes and interacts with children through a tablet screen in its chest.

Engineers - Device - Eight-year-old - Child - Family

Engineers designed the device to act like a four to eight-year-old, becoming an extra child in the family that also helps 'relieve the burden' felt by China's busy parents.

The android offers education and company for lonely children and peace of mind for adults, who can remotely talk to and monitor their child through iPal's screen.

Smartphone - App - Parents - Humanoid - Machine

A smartphone app directly links parents to the humanoid machine, allowing them to see and hear everything in iPal's vicinity.

The robot was among a slew of new tech unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) Asia in Shanghai this week.

Idea - Robot - Companion - Children - Tingyu

'The idea for this robot is to be a companion for children,' said Tingyu Huang, co-founder of AvatarMind Robot Technology, based in China's eastern city of Nanjing.

'When a child sees it, he or she will think of the robot as a friend, as another child in the family.'

Device - Stands - Moves - Dances - Wheels

The humanoid device stands as tall as a five-year-old, moves and dances on wheels and its eyes keep track of its charges through facial recognition technology.

It began shipping to buyers in China in December 2017, with a US release slated for later this year.

Buyers - CES - Performance - IPals - Unison

Buyers at CES watched a performance of several iPals dancing in unison at the event.

'They're pretty cute. I was just thinking my own two-year-old daughter would love one,' Mike Stone, a buyer from Australia said.

China - Parents - Burden - Care

China's young working parents often face the burden of taking care of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Measuring his life out one teaspoon at a time.