The Christian’s Identity

Cranach | 6/14/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/305/2018/06/silhouette-68716_1280.jpg

In this era of “identity politics,” we would do well to read what the Bible says about our identity.

Here are the passages that direct the issue most directly:

Race - Identity - Nationality - Identity - Position

Is my race my identity? Is my nationality my identity? Is my social position my identity? Is my oppression my identity? Is my sex my identity? No. Christ is my identity.

Not “being a Christian.” Religion, as such, as in being a Jew, is not my identity. The texts describe something ontological. Being “in Christ” and drinking “of one Spirit” establishes our identity. And this is not just another identity such as the world uses to classify and sort out human beings. This is qualitatively different.

Notice - Centrality - Baptism - Texts - Christ

Notice too the centrality of baptism in all of these texts. Those who “were baptized into Christ have put on Christ.” “In one Spirit we were all baptized into one body.” The Colossians passage too looks back to baptism in the previous chapter: “having been buried with him in baptism, in which you were also raised with him through faith in the powerful working of God, who raised him from the dead” (Colossians 2:12).

So if you have been baptized, your identity is not determined by whether you are a Jew, an Athenian, a Scythian, a slave, or a woman. You are baptized. You have “put on Christ,” who “is all” and is “in all,” including yourself. Christ is your identity.

Passages - Kinds - Identity - People - Today

These passages address the same kinds of identity that many people today are looking to in order to establish “who they are.” “I am woman!” say the feminists. “I am white!” say the alt.right. “I am American!” say the nationalists. “I am black!” say the black nationalists. “I am oppressed!” say the downtrodden “slaves” of our day.

So what does this mean? If there is no male and female, does that...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Cranach
Wake Up To Breaking News!