Spirit and Scripture (RJS)

Jesus Creed | 6/14/2018 | Staff
gemini2323 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jesuscreed/files/2018/06/gian_lorenzo_bernini_-_dove_of_the_holy_spirit-ds.jpg

Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/40/2018/06/gian_lorenzo_bernini_-_dove_of_the_holy_spirit-ds.jpg

Perhaps the most neglected and disputed aspect of Christian faith is the person and role of the Holy Spirit. We (most of us anyway) will recite the Apostle’s Creed with sincerity and affirm a Trinitarian doctrine of God as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

I believe in God the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and earth.

Jesus - Christ - Son - Lord - Holy

And in Jesus Christ his only Son our Lord; who was conceived by the Holy Spirit, born of the Virgin Mary, suffered under Pontius Pilate, was crucified, dead, and buried; he descended into ****; the third day he rose again from the dead; he ascended into heaven, and sits at the right hand of God the Father Almighty; from whence he shall come to judge the living and the dead.

I believe in the Holy Spirit;

Church

the holy catholic Church;

the communion of saints;

Forgiveness - Sins

the forgiveness of sins;

the resurrection of the body;

Life - AMEN

and the life everlasting. AMEN.

God the Father, Creator of heaven and earth is rather clear. Jesus Christ is the center of Christian faith. Yet the nature of the Holy Spirit, and the gifts of the Holy Spirit remain somewhat enigmatic, poorly understood, and controversial. This is almost an after thought in some areas of Protestantism. Of course charismatic Christianity is growing, both here and in the broader world, yet some see this as a problem rather than a cause for rejoicing. The emphasis on the Spirit is misplaced. The gifts of the Spirit served a specific and limited role in the early church but have ceased. Now we have Scripture as our guide. Perhaps the primary (although not sole) role of the Holy Spirit in the early church was to inspire Scripture. The gifts of the Spirit served to authenticated apostleship.

Science - Spirit - Holy - Spirit - Gifts

Science and the Spirit. The Holy Spirit and gifts of the Holy Spirit may seem distinct from my more...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Jesus Creed
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tagged: