Representation in Scholarship #womenalsoknowbible #womenalsoknowreligion #readwomen

iVchan (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/719/2018/06/women-biblical-scholars.png

Seeing the Inside Higher Ed piece about the Twitter hashtag #womenalsoknowhistory, which then led me to the Chronicle of Higher Education article about the website by the same name, I found myself thinking about my own field, which includes many historians as well as scholars who use historical tools as part of a more diverse palette of methods. I think that some additional hashtags such as #womenalsoknowreligion and #womenalsoknowbible are called for. There is already a website highlighting the work of women biblical scholars, called – you guessed it – Women Biblical Scholars. And no one working in any of the fields that I work in should have difficulty thinking of female scholars who work on the Bible, or Gnosticism, or anything else. In the field of Gnostic studies, the key figures are women, and in the particular tradition that I work on – Mandaeism – the only scholar whose work has focused primarily on that tradition is Jorunn Buckley. The field was also pioneered by a woman, Ethel Drower. But more broadly the names of Elaine Pagels, April De Conick, Karen King, and Nicola Denzey Lewis do not merely come to mind, but are probably among the names that come to mind first when...
Wake Up To Breaking News!