A sweet reader is struggling with her faith and writes me…

Catholic and Enjoying It! | 6/14/2018 | Staff
Claw987Claw987 (Posted by) Level 4
Click For Photo: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/wp-content/themes/Patheos%20TwentySeventeen/assets/images/default-thumbs/default-img-hiking.jpg

…to say:

I am a committed Christian.

Glad

Glad to hear it!

I wasn’t brought up in a Christian family but by God’s grace I became His. I have been on an amazing journey in my faith and love and adore Christ.

Convert

How wonderful! As a fellow convert, I salute you!

When I was living in London I had a very happy experience in a Catholic Church and even became a member of the Catholic faith.

Excellent

Excellent!

Over time though protestant Christian friends convinced me that the Catholic Church was not worshipping according to the Gospel, explaining that the Church teachings on the eucharist, worship of Mary and the statues, purgatory, pope etc etc goes completely against the Gospels.

Doubt

I’m sorry to hear that. They were wrong, though they no doubt meant well.

The Church’s teaching on the Eucharist is, in fact, thoroughly biblical. That’s why every Church tracing its roots back to the apostles says the same thing about the Real Presence and always has: it is the body, blood, soul and divinity of Jesus. The notion that it is “just a symbol” is the recent Protestant invention. See my book This is my Body for a more thorough discussion of this.

Catholics - Mary - Statues - Sense - Equals

Catholics do not worship Mary or statues (in the sense of “adore them as equals of God”). You will see the word “worship” used in older English sometimes, but it does not mean what it now means, just as “gay” has changed in meaning from “happy” to “homosexual”. “Worship” in older English simply meant “honor”. So English judges are still called “your worship” but nobody mistakes them for God. Old marriage oaths had the couple say to each other, “With my body, I thee worship” meaning, “I honor you with my body.”

So with “the worship of Mary”. Scripture *commands* us to honor our father and our mother. So...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Catholic and Enjoying It!
Wake Up To Breaking News!
I'm not always cranky, sometimes I'm actually running!
Tagged: