Judd Apatow Talks ‘Quality Control’ Problem of Peak TV Era

Variety | 6/13/2018 | Danielle Turchiano
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/juddapatow.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

In an era of peak TV, which is a seller’s market with traditional platforms and emerging studios alike eager to find new material, the positives come from the fact that there is a plethora of content that speaks to a wide range of individuals. But the negatives, veteran producer Judd Apatow considers, is that in some cases the same people are making multiple deals.

“A danger of the situation is a lot of people are over-extended and where’s the quality control?” Apatow pointed out at Variety‘s Tune In! TV Summit in Los Angeles Wednesday. “It’s hard to make one TV show, and I don’t know how people do it.”

Conversation - Variety - Managing - Editor - TV

In a conversation with Variety’s managing editor, TV, Cynthia Littleton, Apatow shared that he, personally, isn’t looking to work on multiple series at the same time.

“I have to focus on not extending myself to a place where I can’t do my best work because I need a deal where I have to deliver 11 series. That’s not a place I can create from,” Apatow said. “I feel like I wouldn’t do a good job. [Although] I could make 11 sh–ty shows.”

Series - Politics - Stage - News - Responsibility

Similarly, he’s not interested in being too political in his series, despite “ranting” about politics on a stand-up stage and tweeting about the news because of the responsibility he feels. “We all have…to pay attention to what’s going on and to speak up and fight for what’s right.

“It’s very difficult because I read something every day and I feel it’s important that people know about it [but] I don’t know how you do it in real time,” he said of bringing daily news headlines into scripted programming. “I think in the future there will be incredible movies about Michael Cohen turning on Trump, but we’re in the middle of it.”

Apatow

Apatow has come a...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
With God all things are possible, but not probable.