Pompeo: Military Exercises Contingent on ‘Productive Good-Faith Negotiations’ with North Korea

CNS News | 6/13/2018 | Staff
jenny1246 (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://cdn.cnsnews.com/pompeo_presser.png

(CNSNews.com) - Secretary of State Mike Pompeo told reporters Wednesday that President Donald Trump’s commitment to end joint military exercises in South Korea is contingent on productive negotiations with North Korea.

When asked whether the decision to end joint U.S.-South Korean military exercises in South Korea was open-ended or whether they would resume should the U.S. find that the North Koreans were not engaging seriously in talks, Pompeo said Trump “made it very clear that the condition precedent for the exercises not to proceed was a productive, good-faith negotiations being ongoing.”

Point - President - Commitment - Exercises - Place

“And at the point it’s concluded that they are not, the president’s commitment to not have those joint exercises take place will no longer be in effect. I mean, he was unambiguous about that and how he communicated it both I think at the press conference but certainly when he was with Chairman Kim as well,” Pompeo said.

Pompeo clarified that Trump is the lead in North Korea talks but that the secretary of State will take “the role of driving this process forward.”

Timing - Conversation - North - Korea - Home

“I don’t know exactly what the timing will be for our next conversation with North Korea. I would anticipate it will be fairly quickly after we return to our home countries. I don’t know exactly what form that will take, but I’m very confident that by some time in the next week or so we will begin the engagement,” the secretary said.

“There was a great deal of work done over days and days and days in Panmunjom that led to the discussions that took place there in Singapore for whatever it was, 70 hours or 60 hours, whatever the two sets of teams...
(Excerpt) Read more at: CNS News
Wake Up To Breaking News!