Apple orders a 10-episode mystery series inspired by kid reporter Hilde Lysiak

TechCrunch | 6/13/2018 | Sarah Perez
MysticHeart (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Screen-Shot-2018-06-13-at-1.02.17-PM.png?w=764

Click For Photo: https://techcrunch.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/Screen-Shot-2018-06-13-at-1.02.17-PM.png

Apple is continuing to flesh out its lineup of TV series for its upcoming streaming service and Netflix competitor, assumed to be offered sometime next year as part of a subscription bundle with Apple Music. The company’s latest addition is a dramatic mystery series, currently known as the untitled Hilde Lysiak project. The show is inspired by the real-life story of the 11-year-old investigate reporter who scooped local news outlets by being the first to expose a murder in her hometown of Selinsgrove, PA.

Lysiak may not be a household name, but her story is impressive.

Columbia - Journalism - Review - News - Operation

The Columbia Journalism Review profiled her online news operation, Orange Street News, in a story titled, “Is this 8-year-old’s newspaper better than yours?”

The young reporter is not a hobbyist at her chosen profession – she attends town meetings, she covers neighborhood crime without police cooperation, and she shows up on the scene of breaking news, the article explains.

Paper - Murder - Area - Years - Facebook

She also beat the local daily paper in being the first to cover a murder in the area when she was only 9 years old. When criticized by Facebook commenters (aren’t they lovely) for being a kid covering graphic news like this before all the facts were in, she fought back.

“I just like letting people know all the information,” the reporter said.

Work - People - Murder - Hours - Competition

“Because of my work, I was able to inform the people that there’s a terrible murder hours before my competition even got to the scene. In fact, some of these adult-read newspapers were reporting the wrong news or no news at all,” she explained in a YouTube video.

As to how she got the scoop, Lysiak said, “I got a good tip from a source and I was able to confirm it.”

Site - Today - Number - Crime - Reports

Her site today continues to feature a number of crime reports, included break-ins,...
(Excerpt) Read more at: TechCrunch
Wake Up To Breaking News!