Frankie Shaw Tells Sara Gilbert That ‘SMILF’ Was Inspired by ‘Roseanne’

Variety | 6/13/2018 | Debra Birnbaum
Click For Photo: https://pmcvariety.files.wordpress.com/2018/06/sara-gilbert-frankie-shaw-variety-actors-on-actors-portrait-16x9.jpg?w=700&h=393&crop=1

This interview was conducted at the end of April, several weeks before “Roseanne” was canceled following a racist tweet by Roseanne Barr. In response, Sara Gilbert tweeted, “This is incredibly sad and difficult for all of us, as we’ve created a show that we believe in, are proud of, and that audiences love — one that is separate and apart from the opinions and words of one cast member.”

Frankie Shaw: “Roseanne” is and was so important to so many people, and I can say “SMILF” is directly inspired by growing up watching “Roseanne” and seeing people who felt like my family on television. I was like, “Oh, those people speak to each other like how my family speaks to each other,” you know, with sarcasm.

Sara - Gilbert - SMILF - Character - Money

Sara Gilbert: And I felt watching “SMILF,” I was thinking this is so amazing that this character is struggling, doesn’t have money, it’s difficult to buy things. Even when people are portrayed as working class on TV, you don’t usually see the real struggle.

Shaw: What is different in filming this new season of “Roseanne”? Are you dealing with different issues?

Frankie - Shaw - Writing - 'SMILF - 'We

Frankie Shaw on Writing 'SMILF:' 'We Didn't Want to Make A Directly Feminist Show'

Gilbert: I never go in thinking these are the issues that we want to take on, but it is just a way to talk about things that we’re experiencing right now through the lens of this family. So we got to talk about how people are divided politically without it being about anyone’s politics specifically, just about how does a family deal with this conflict. Or my son likes to wear skirts and more feminine clothing, so how does that affect the family relationship or how they treat him. I always think our writers do such a great job of doing things that are...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Variety
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Never argue with an idiot, the spectators may not be able to differentiate between you.