On Grinding Poverty, Old Age, and the Good Life (Summer in the Republic 8)

Eidos | 6/12/2018 | Staff
Caris (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/eidos/files/2016/11/bible-1166260_640_opt.jpg

“Even a good man will find it difficult to cope with old age in poverty.”

One thing reading books from another culture, another time, and another place does is say things in a way nobody around you would say in just that way.

Book - Money - Happiness - Age - Something

One old book made me think about money, happiness, and old age by saying something plainly: money helps.

Before looking at the old book, that blunt fact reminded me of some home truths I already know, but need to make sure I remember.

Christians - Money - Money - Money - Happiness

Christians cannot worship money, love money, but all of us need money***! Money cannot buy happiness, is not worthy of love, but money helps happy people be happy. You can be at peace in the worst circumstances, but flourishing in this life depends on having our basic physical, mental, and spiritual needs met and this is easiest when people have decent jobs and lives that can be lived in dignity.

Christian teaching always has emphasized compassion for the poor and the right to work. Christians do disagree about how best to help the poor and how to get people good jobs****, but that should not distract us from our broad agreement:

Claim - Christians

We cannot ignore the poor or the weak and claim to be faithful Christians.

There comes a time when money making gets harder, because we are older. As a result, there is a tradition of helping the elderly that goes back to New Testament times. Charity for those who could not work, had no families, or lost savings was central to the church from the beginning.

Old - Age - Society - States - Family

Old age in an industrial society was harder than in agricultural states. The family farm or business was no longer the main way of making money. The basic pension plan for Christians is the family. Strong families provide the ultimate security as people will care...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Eidos
Wake Up To Breaking News!