Doctor, 33, who fell under spell of fairytale castle in Wales as a child BUYS it 20 years later to save it from ruin

Mail Online | 6/12/2018 | Mark Duell for MailOnline
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/11/20/4D24631200000578-0-image-a-11_1528746292674.jpg

A doctor enchanted by a fairytale castle as a child has bought it to save it from falling into ruin.

Mark Baker, 33, fell under the spell of Gwrych Castle in Conwy, North Wales, after playing around its six miles of walls as a schoolboy. But he saw it fall into ruins - and aged just 11 he set up a trust in a bid to save the castle.

Decades - £600 - Day - Sale - Trust

Two decades on he discovered it was due to go to auction for £600,000 - and feared he could miss out. But just one day before the sale, the trust bought the castle thanks to funding from the National Heritage Memorial Fund.

Dr Baker said: 'As a child, I would pass the castle every day to and from school, and at the age of 11 founded the castle trust. Now, 21 years later, we are in a position to purchase and realise that vision.'

Boy - Dr - Baker - Gwrych - Castle

As a boy, Dr Baker started the Gwrych Castle Preservation Trust registered charity and fundraised to restore the castle. He also wrote a book called the Rise and Fall of Gwrych Castle aged just 14.

Dr Baker, who met Tony Blair and Prince Charles after starting a campaign to save it,said: 'I find it amazing that 20 years of...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis