Piecing it Together: Childcare Struggles and Economic Justice for Women

Irreverin | 6/11/2018 | Staff
Click For Photo: http://wp.production.patheos.com/blogs/sites/333/2018/06/child-1073638_640.jpg

One minute, it’s the last week of school. There is something extra special and important happening every day, endless details and events to track, the kids are exhausted and emotionally overwrought, and you have only one thought in your head: is it summer yet??

And then the next thing you know, it’s the third week of summer break and you are wondering what you are supposed to DO with these children for the many weeks until school starts again NOT THAT I’M COUNTING.

Kids - Summer - Schedule - Exercise - Chaos

I’m kidding. Mostly. My kids are wonderful and I love having them around. But also, I work full-time and our summer schedule is an exercise in slightly-controlled chaos. Between weeks we are traveling; the times I’m out of town for meetings; and the kids’ own church activities, like camp and VBS; it doesn’t make sense to book them in full time childcare programs for the summer. All of those gigs charge you for the full week (or the full summer!) whether you use it or not. So I do what most working parents do in the summer… piece it together.

All that is to say–while I may feel frazzled some days, my life works and my work happens. But each of those factors is a point of privilege, and I’m aware of how much more difficult it is for most working parents. When I was writing my book last summer (mostly at crazy hours, or at home while my kids played outside or watched tv) I did some research on poverty and workplace equality. As I’m sure can guess, or may know from experience, one of the biggest struggles for most American families is finding affordable, quality childcare. Best as I can tell, it is also one of the biggest remaining hurdles to women’s equality in the workplace.

Consider this: more...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Irreverin
Wake Up To Breaking News!
"Tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis