Why we Say The Black and Do The Red

wdtprs.com | 2/27/1978 | View all posts by Fr. John Zuhlsdorf →

Good stuff here!

Let us begin with an understatement.

Revitalization - Catholic - Identity - Magnum - Et

The revitalization of our Catholic identity will be an opus magnum et arduum.

Most of us reading this will not see but the first fruits.

Tools - Disposal - Ends - Teach - Delight

We have to be smart and persistent, using all the tools at our disposal. I am mindful of the ends of rhetoric: teach, delight, persuade. We have to know clearly what it is we wish to accomplish. We must figure our the issues and organize our thoughts. Also, whom do we wish to teach, delight and/or persuade? Our audience determines a great deal for us. With what level of “tone” do we address them? What vocabulary and examples do we use?

Moreover, in our opus we must also be mindful that, in our human endeavors, we can fall into the trap of making the perfect into the enemy of the good. That is to say, if I can’t have my ideal now, I don’t want anything at all. Achievement of the good need not be a settling for the good, in lieu of the better or the best.

Best - Attainable - Life - Question

Is The Best attainable in this life? That’s a rhetorical question.

This leads me to a piece at NLM by Peter Kwasniewski.

Peter - Fact - End - Chartres - Pilgrimage

Peter laments the fact that, at the end of the Chartres Pilgrimage, during the splendid Mass with Card. Sarah in the Usus Antiquior, the Subdeacon faced the people instead of ad orientem, and sang the Epistle in French. The Deacon sang the Gospel in French. Some “>video: Epistle HERE – Gospel HERE.

Peter rightly implores that we avoid these “pastoral adaptations”. Rightly.

Period - Stability - Recovery - Usus - Antiquor

As I have argued before, we need a long period of stability in the recovery of the Usus Antiquor. We have to learn it again and let it become part of the weft and warp of our worship. Once it is well rooted, the...
(Excerpt) Read more at: wdtprs.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Democrate or Republican, the difference is less than the thickness of a cigarette paper, or a slice of pastrami at a delicatesean.
Tagged: