Parkland massacre survivors sing emotional rendition of RENT's Seasons of Love at the Tony Awards as their brave drama teacher is honored for protecting 65 students from the gunman

Mail Online | 6/11/2018 | Ariel Zilber For Dailymail.com;Associated Press;Reuters
reantes (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/newpix/2018/06/11/05/4D2053A500000578-0-image-a-161_1528693010591.jpg

Students from the drama department at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School brought down the house on Broadway's biggest stage.

There was scarcely a dry eye in the house as members of the drama department sang Seasons of Love from the popular musical RENT at the annual Tony Awards in New York City, which celebrates the best in Broadway theater.

Drama - Teacher - People - Change - February

A heroic drama teacher who nurtured many of the young people demanding change following the February school shooting in Parkland, Florida, was also honored from the Tony Award stage.

Melody Herzfeld, the one-woman drama department at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, was cheered by the crowd at Radio City Music Hall.

Herzfeld - Lives - Students - Classroom - Closet

Herzfeld saved 65 lives by barricading students into a small classroom closet on Valentine's Day when police say a former student went on a school rampage, killing 17 people.

She then later encouraged many of her pupils to lead the nationwide movement for gun reform, including organizing the March For Our Lives demonstration and the charity single Shine.

Herzfeld - Crowd - Award - Moments - Life

Herzfeld told the crowd that receiving the award was one of the most significant moments of her life.

'Next to the passing of my dear parents and in-laws, marrying the love of my life and the birth of my amazing sons and reuniting with my...
(Excerpt) Read more at: Mail Online
Wake Up To Breaking News!