Mayor apologizes for his 80-year-old mom's racist Facebook rant

NJ.com | 6/8/2018 | Anthony G. Attrino
KHALED (Posted by) Level 3
Click For Photo: https://image.nj.com/home/njo-media/width620/img/bergen_impact/photo/24578291-standard.jpg

The mayor of Palisades Park issued an apology Thursday after his mother posted a profanity laced and racist message on Facebook slamming Koreans, who make up more than 50 percent of the borough's population.

"My 80-year-old mother, who I love dearly, put up a very inappropriate Facebook message that she sincerely regrets," Mayor James Rotundo wrote in a post Thursday.

Lorraine - Rotundo - Koreans - Palisades - Park

Lorraine Rotundo wrote that Koreans had overtaken Palisades Park, arriving to vote by the busloads. The comments appear to have been in response to her son's possible defeat in the next election.

"Go to **** PALISADES PARK, let the GD KOREANS have this F'n town," Rotundo wrote, according to screenshots posted online. "All of us AMERICANS are so done. I am going to suggest that only English be spoken in our Boro Hall at least while an AMERICAN is still the mayor."

Rotundo - Working - Idea - Korean - English

Rotundo went on to write: "Any American working there has no idea what is going on because Korean is mostly spoken there, not English."

She added, "Sorry Jim, as your mom (I) cannot be quiet. I have to tell the truth."

Posts - Reporters - Media - Outlets - Members

It was not clear when the posts were made, and they have since been taken down. But reporters, media outlets and members of the community posted screenshots and quotes to social media Thursday.

Rotundo said his mother had not expressed racist ideals in the past.

Mom - Talk

"I have never heard my mom talk like this before and I believe her when she says she is mortified...
(Excerpt) Read more at: NJ.com
Wake Up To Breaking News!
Tyranny has such cute names, like Democrat, Republican, Congress, Senate...